I am fortunate to have a kid who is not a picky eater. He eats pretty much anything I put in front of him (although sometimes begrudgingly). The downside of this is that it doesn’t force me to think outside of the box when it comes to preparing creative lunches for him. On an average school day, I will typically pack a brown bag lunch that consist of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or a smoked turkey and cheese sandwich, or a grilled cheese sandwich. He’s happy with any of it, but I think it’s about time for me to come up with alternative, nutritious lunch options for my son to take to school.
I was happy to come across some great resources for anyone who is stuck for healthy school lunch ideas or alternatives to sandwiches. Hopefully you’ll get inspired, like me, to surprise your kid with something more fun, interesting and enjoyable than a PB&J when he opens up his lunch bag.
A few healthy sandwich lunch ideas include:
- Veggie cream cheese and cucumber
- Tuna salad and a sliced tomato
- Almond butter with slivered almonds and dried cranberries
- Hummus and chopped peppers
- Apple butter and fresh apple slices
- Whipped cream cheese and fresh blueberries
- The Laughing Cow light spreadable cheese with ham and grated carrot
- Blueberry cream cheese and strawberry slices
- Reduced-sugar jam and cream cheese
- Visit Cook It Allergy Free for ideas geared towards the gluten-free and allergy-friendly lunchbox. The site offers a long list of options for those with dietary restrictions. The ideas focus on Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Nut-Free choices.
- Download a fairly comprehensive list of lunch box ideas from Wendy Copley. Even the pickiest eaters will find some things on this list that they’ll enjoy. She also offers hundreds of lunch box photo ideas to give you all the lunch box inspiration you will need.
- Get hundreds of creative and easy lunch ideas from EasyLunchBoxes. You can check out the easy lunch box gallery which includes the photos of lunch box creations submitted by hundreds of moms.
What are some of your easy, healthy, on-the-go, lunch ideas? We’d love to hear about what you do to keep the hum drum from creeping into your kids lunch boxes.