If you think your 3 or 4 year old is too young too help out around the house, think again. Not only is this the magic age when the kids WANT to help, but we really can encourage them by giving them age appropriate chores that don’t just get in the way, but actually help us out.
Here are a list of chores your toddlers can do around the house, as found on Nice Girl Notes. Note that none of the suggested items will take more than two minutes to accomplish:
Toddlers and Preschoolers can…
1) Wipe down cabinet fronts. Put some nontoxic cleaner (or a little soap and water) on a rag and let them at it.
2) Clean the outside of a fridge. Spray a little nontoxic glass cleaner on the fridge and let them practice their wax-on, wax-off skills.
3) Put things in the garbage. (A plus for pregnant moms when bending over and picking that tissue up off the floor seems like a difficult feat.)
4) Deliver their clothes to the dirty laundry basket.
5) Lay out their pajamas on their bed to be worn that night.
6) Wipe baseboards/furniture. Sometimes I give them a rag and dampen it, sometimes I let them grab a baby wipe and go to town on the front door.
7) Put their non-breakable cups and bowls in the kitchen sink.
8) Fold washcloths.
9) Sweep. They have a mini broom, and sometimes I take the Swiffer, remove a couple of segments, and shorten it to tot size.
10) Put their books in the book basket.
11) Put their blocks away. Or any toys, really, as long as you have specific, designated spots for them.
12) Take off their shoes and coats and put them away.
Do you have any other ideas of suitable chores for toddlers and preschoolers? Please add them to the comments. We’d love to read them.
80 Different Sheets Kids & Toddlers Puffy Sticker Mega Variety Pack by Purple Ladybug Novelty, 2000+ 3D Puffy Stickers for Kids, Including Animals, Smiley Faces, Cars, Letters, Stars and Tons More!
Get the same 40 sheets as our original Purple Ladybug Novelty 3D puffy sticker mega pack PLUS GET ...
Fostering Self-Sufficiency and Building Confidence in Young Kids: Get your toddler and preschooler to be more independent and help with chores
In this book parents will discover helpful and valuable tools to encourage their young children to ...
Dry Erase Reward Chore Chart - 14.5" x 11" - Kids Classroom & Home Teaching Resource - Children Routine Behavior & Responsibility - Reusable Teacher Star Child Toddler Incentive Charts (Light Blue)
Satisfaction & Quality AssuredWorks great on flat surfaces such as your fridge, walls and ...